Friday, March 25, 2011

Bo & Peep Go Country: Stonehenge and Bath Day 4

     Day four was our only day out of the city.  We enjoyed the fresh country air as we traveled to Stonehenge and BathStonehenge is a place that I had heard about and remember from elementary school textbooks, so it was somewhat surreal actually being there.  Our tour guide explained to us that on the longest and shortest days of the year, the sun is framed by the rocks when it sets and rises, respectfully.


     Bath was one of the most wonderful towns I have visited.  It was so picturesque and had many interesting places to explore.  The city is at the bottom of the Avon Valley, and the surrounding hills give the city its steep streets and make its buildings appear to climb the slopes.  As a class, we went to the Roman Baths and learned about their history.   The water that bubbles up from the ground is from geothermal springs.  The Bath springs are considered the only hot springs in the United Kingdom.


     I also had the opportunity to visit the Jane Austen Centre.  I learned a little bit more about her life as an author and purchased a special edition of Pride and Predjudice.


No comments:

Post a Comment