Monday, March 21, 2011

Pip Pip Cheerio: London Day 1

     Words cannot truly express the connection I felt to London.  The sights, the sounds…I loved every second.  It seems ironic that I tend to feel so comfortable in large cities, when I come from a small town of less than 10,000 people.  I suppose I enjoy the knowledge that there is always something just around the corner to experience, see, and do.  I’ve had the luxury of living in New Orleans for the past 2 ½ years, and the list of things that I still want to experience in NOLA gets longer with each passing day.  London is that iconic city that I always dreamed of visiting and needless to say, I was far from disappointed.
     Our group had a semi-early flight from Copenhagen and landed safely at Heathrow Airport.  The weather could not have been more perfect!  Prior to visiting the United Kingdom, I had always heard how bleak and foggy London was, but the sun was shining and it was warm (compared to Denmark).  After we gathered our things, we hopped on a bus and headed into the city.   As I gazed in awe out the window at my surroundings, it became apparent that I truly had arrived; the number one clue being that everyone, including our bus, was traveling on the opposite side of the road.  I wasn’t as freaked-out as I expected to be, but I think it would have been a completely different story if I had actually been behind the wheel as a driver.  Somehow, the cars gave me a sense of them being driver-less.

LisAurel and I
     Our first activity was a bike tour through London.  I think this is the best way to see all the major sites.  Some of the places we saw included Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, and 3 different parks.  My biggest problem (aside from keeping to the left side of the bike path) was trying to take pictures while riding!  Many a curb and post got in my way. 





     For dinner, we went to an Indian restaurant called Masala Zone.  We had a platter with a variety of food and it was delicious! 


1 comment:

  1. It's funny how some cities just grab you as soon as you set foot in them, isn't it? Your bike tour looks like lots of fun, and I do admire your ability to take any pictures at all during it ;-) Also Indian food-- YUM.

    ReplyDelete